We all know that garages are not only useful to keep your cars safe but also to provide extra storage. In your garage, you can store your precious or seasonal items.
The thing is, most of the time, the things we keep in our garages are way too many. While it may cost you much to convert your garage into a fully functioning room apart from keeping your vehicles, it’s always an excellent idea to build a bonus room above the garage.
- Green Door Garage with a Bonus Recreation Room Above
- Farmhouse Garage with a Bonus Room as a Laundry Space Above
- Rustic Bonus Game Room Above an Eclectic Garage
- Spacious Bonus Family Room Above a Detached Garage
- Large Classic Garage with a Bonus Room Above Used as a Workshop
- Sloped Ceiling Bonus Room Above a Traditional Garage
- Contemporary Garage with a Bonus Bedroom Above and Outdoor Staircase
- A Bonus Apartment Above a Carriage House Garage
- Man Cave Bonus Room Above an Open Garage
- Mid-sized Contemporary Bonus Family Room Above a White Door Garage
- Trendy Detached Two-car Garage with a Bonus Entertainment Room Above
- Two-Car Garage with a Small Bonus Room Above
- A Bonus Room Above a Craftsman Garage as a Guest Bedroom
- Things To Do Before You Start Building
When you have a bonus room over your garage, you don’t only have an entire area to keep your valuable items, but you can also use the space for your need. Yes, the ideas are endless. However, bonus rooms above garages are commonly used for:
- Home office. This would be even better if you had a detached garage. This way, you can be productive and minimize any distractions because your home office is separated from the main house.
- Game/entertainment room. You can put your foosball tables, dartboards, billiards, and other gaming shed essentials in this area.
- Playroom. If you have kids, a bonus room above your garage can be used as a kids’ area. Thus, you don’t have to worry about the mess on your main property.
- Man cave/ cozy den. If you need me-time every now and then, turn the space above your garage into your sanctuary. Put some fun elements in it, along with some items to support your hobbies.
- Family room. It’s always nice to have a room away from the main house, where you can enjoy spending quality time with your loved ones. Include a cozy couch, a sofa, a bathroom, a kitchen, or even a mini-bar in this area.
- Home gym. Who needs gym if you can spend your daily sweat session in your own house? Add some gym equipment along with a yoga mat here.
- Guest bedroom. Create an extra room in this area with attic sensation, complete with a slanted ceiling. You can even complete this bonus room with outdoor stairs to access it from the outside of your garage to give more privacy.
Regardless of the type of rooms you choose, it’s important to get some inspiration first. Here are some most adorable pictures of bonus rooms above the garage that might inspire you:
1. Green Door Garage with a Bonus Recreation Room Above
This two-car garage looks lovely with its carriage house door stye painted in green. The dark green looks stunning combined with the cream-colored siding.
Above the garage, from the exterior, we can clearly see that there is a bonus room. There are tall windows everywhere to make sure the room above the garage gets enough natural light.
The bonus room turns out to be a recreation room. It is made of polished wood, the walls, and the ceiling. There is a billiard at the center of the room, complete with three hanging pendants above.
The slanted ceiling gives a feeling as though this bonus room was located in an attic, which is not entirely false. It seems that the stairs to access this room are located inside; we can see the safety guard railing here.
2. Farmhouse Garage with a Bonus Room as a Laundry Space Above
This farmhouse garage also features a carriage house door style. It can also accommodate two cars at a time, like the previous one.
Surprisingly, if we look on its side, there is an additional one-car garage. This additional garage is separated from the larger one. Generally, this garage can keep up to three cars at the same time.
With its gable roof, we can see that there is an apartment, a bonus room, above it. The bonus room above this large garage is a laundry room. Unlike the other laundry rooms that we usually see located in the basement, this one was built above the garage. The slanted ceiling enhances the coziness in this room.
This laundry room is also unique. It seems that this place is not only meant to do the laundry but also to spend some quality time. It is because we can see a cozy couch and a bookcase here. This room is also too big to only be used as a laundry room.
3. Rustic Bonus Game Room Above an Eclectic Garage
The unique thing about this garage and the room above is both have two different styles. From the exterior, the garage has an eclectic look. There is a fun mixture that resembles an eclectic design. This is a two-car garage with white carriage doors and a greyish green exterior. It is completed with a gable roof.
On the inside, the room above the garage has a unique rustic design. It has a wooden wall and exposed post and beam structure, creating a slanted ceiling. It seems that this bonus room is used as a recreation room. There is table tennis, a gym ball, and other equipment.
The windows make this bonus room look bright, even though basically it is in the attic.
4. Spacious Bonus Family Room Above a Detached Garage
This detached garage features a traditional style. It is quite large, for it can accommodate two cars at the same time.
The wood double garage doors create a nice contrast with the cream-colored exterior.
The bonus room above the garage is spacious as well. This bonus room is used as a family room. The room looks big because the homeowners decided to minimize the furniture. There are only two upholstered chairs beneath the windows and a wall-mounted TV.
5. Large Classic Garage with a Bonus Room Above Used as a Workshop
This is a large and classic garage that can house two cars at a time.
The bonus room can be accessed through the indoor stairs. It seems that the room is used as a workshop.
In this picture, the workshop still looks empty, with only a white cabinet standing beneath the window. The low slanted ceiling, along with the recessed lamps creating warm yellow light, gives a cozy and homey feeling to this room.
6. Sloped Ceiling Bonus Room Above a Traditional Garage
This traditional garage has a lovely combination of white and dark, with a natural stone as an accent.
We can see that this large garage can accommodate up to three cars. There is a two-car garage on one side and another one-car garage on the other. Both garages are separated by a wall partition. However, only the two-car garage has a bonus room above.
The bonus room above the garage features a unique sloped ceiling. We can see that the bonus room is used as an extra family room. The room looks spacious. It is completed with a trendy home theater, a sofa, a coffee table, and a round side table. There is even another area that seems to be completed with a chair and a side table.
As a bonus family room, this one looks complete and perfect. You can even use this room to host a small and intimate party.
7. Contemporary Garage with a Bonus Bedroom Above and Outdoor Staircase
This is also a detached garage with a contemporary look. This two-car garage has a cream-colored siding that is combined with double white doors. The color combination creates a soft and warm look to the exterior. The dark roof serves as an accent.
We can see that there is a staircase on the side of this garage. This outdoor staircase is meant to access the bonus room above the garage.
One of the benefits of using an outdoor staircase for a bonus room above the garage is it gives more privacy. If you have a guest coming over, the guest can sleep in the bonus room. He/she can access the room without having to interact with you in the garage because you both have a different entrance.
The bonus room above the garage is a guest bedroom. As a guest bedroom, this one looks nice. It has a lovely combination of beige walls and a medium-tone wood floor. The single bed is placed with windows on its sides, making this room look bright.
8. A Bonus Apartment Above a Carriage House Garage
This is a large detached garage that can accommodate three cars. This garage is completed with carriage house door styles, which create a lovely classic look. Moreover, the carriage house doors are also combined with white siding and stone.
The green doors, along with the green trim, give a traditional yet natural look to this house’s exterior.
There is an apartment above this garage. We can see that the bonus apartment is even completed with a small balcony. The apartment is used as a guest bedroom.
As an extra bedroom, this one is quite perfect. It is completed with a bookcase, an upholstered chair, and a footrest, and a dining table set. Its slanted ceiling is equipped with fans to cool the air.
9. Man Cave Bonus Room Above an Open Garage
This garage is quite unique. Unlike the other garages that commonly have carriage house doors, this one doesn’t even have a door. It only has a large opening, yet the car is protected enough inside even though it has no door at all.
On the side of this garage, there is an external staircase made of composite boards (trex) with white vinyl posts and railing and a 4×4 landing. This staircase is access to the bonus room above. This way, the bonus room looks bigger because there is no space used for an indoor staircase.
The bonus room is a man cave. It is even completed with a toilet, perfect for an escape place to get away from the crowded main house.
This man cave can also be used as a home office because it has a desk completed with a swivel chair. There is a cozy couch and a side table too to promote more comfort.
10. Mid-sized Contemporary Bonus Family Room Above a White Door Garage
This large garage has a polished classic look with an all-white design. The siding is painted in crisp white color, while the garage doors are also in a similar color. It can accommodate two cars at a time, separated by a wall partition.
We can see that there is a single door on the left side. It seems that the door is used as an entrance to the bonus room above the garage. So the bonus room has different access with the garage.
The bonus room is used as a family room. That mid-sized room has a perfect contemporary look with sloped walls in the corner.
The room itself has crisp white walls, too, combined with a light tone wood floor. In order to add a pop of color, the homeowners added a bright red sofa along with a patterned carpet.
This family room also serves as a music room. Even the musical instruments here also used a decoration element. The bright red guitar case complements the sofa nicely.
11. Trendy Detached Two-car Garage with a Bonus Entertainment Room Above
This is a trendy detached garage that has many doors. The combination of cream-colored siding and white doors is basically not a new idea, but somehow it is able to create a lovely and homey look.
We can see that apart from the double garage doors, there are two single doors. One is located on the right side of the garage, while another one is on its side. It seems that both have access to the bonus room above.
The bonus room above is used as an entertainment room. It is completed with a foosball table, gym equipment, a rocking chair, and an upholstered chair. This room has a wood floor that looks similar to the wood wall. The wall itself is a combination of wood walls and regular white walls. This way, the designer managed to create a perfect craftsman room.
12. Two-Car Garage with a Small Bonus Room Above
This two-car garage is completed with a bonus room above. This is a detached garage. We can see the breezeway connection from the main house. The connection includes a kitchen with a farmer’s porch on the front side.
The garage itself has a unique combination of red siding and white doors, with the dark roof as an accent. The garage is divided into two smaller areas, so the cars kept inside have a separate area.
Judging by the exterior, it seems that the bonus room above this detached garage is not that large. And since there is a kitchen right on the side of the garage, we can conclude that the bonus room is an extra bedroom.
That can be used as a guest bedroom, so when someone is sleeping over, she/he can have his/her own area detached from the main house. It gives more privacy for them and for the homeowners too.
13. A Bonus Room Above a Craftsman Garage as a Guest Bedroom
This large garage is unique. It has a side entry instead of a front. This way, this garage can hold plenty of vehicle space. It can accommodate two cars and even a storage room.
This all-white exterior color is combined with a gray roof. Both neutral colors give a touch of modern look to this craftsman garage.
There is an overhead bonus room sitting above the garage. According to the designer, it is a guest bedroom complete with a full bathroom and a closet. If there is no guest, this bonus room can also be used as an additional room for your family member.
The room has a dormer window view that makes sure it gets as much natural light as possible.
14. Things To Do Before You Start Building
Now, after you have determined what kind of room you want to build above your garage before you start building, there are some things you need to do first:
- Think from the inside and the outside. Bonus rooms like this are visible from the outside. So, start with that you want it to appear from the outside. After that, consider how that might affect the structure of your garage.
- Verify the structure. After you have envisioned it perfectly, start to think about the structure and how to build on it. Ask an engineer to verify that your garage’s existing foundation and framing can bear the additional weight. If not, the foundation should be bolstered or even replaced.
- Check the safety codes. The walls, floors, and other materials you use should follow safety regulations.
- Plumbing and utilities. Don’t forget about the plumbing pipes and drains for a bathroom or laundry room. Lighting, electronics, and heater/cooler should also be put into consideration.
After everything’s settled, you can start working with your contractor and designer to build a bonus room above a garage. Good luck with your project!